Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Two Houses

In Matthew 7:24-27, Jesus tells us about two men who built two houses. If you ever went to Sunday School as a child, this is probably where you start singing the song in your head. If you weren't before, I probably just made you think about it. (Incidentally, I sort of hope that becomes a theme here on this blog, making you think about things. However, I digress.)

Something I thought about the other day struck me in this passage though. I've always pictured the actual houses differently in my mind. I sort of pictured the wise or sensible man's house as a glorious mansion, but the foolish man's house as a bit of a shack. Looking again, I don't really think that was the case. The focus is the foundation, what the house is built upon. It is not the actual house. They might have been identical in the rest of the construction. However, because of the different foundations, they were indeed very different.

Do you have a good foundation? Do you realize what words Jesus was referring to and calling people to act on? This passage happens to come at the end of the 'Sermon on the Mount'. Here's just a very small smattering of those words:
reconcile with your brother 5:24
give to the one who asks you (and give more than they ask) 5:42
love your enemies 5:44
don't collect treasures on earth 6:19
do not worry about what you will eat, drink, or wear 6:31
do not judge 7:1

No comments:

Post a Comment