Psalm 23:4
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
In the past, I think I tended to think of this verse as an interlude. This was the part where I messed up and wandered off, and the Shepherd had to come find me before we get back to the good stuff. That certainly happens. Perhaps a bit too often.
However, I'm really just not so sure that's what is being said here. Sometimes the 'valley of the shadow of death' is exactly where the Shepherd is leading us. Note it says His rod and staff comforts us. It doesn't say it corrects or rescues us. It says He is with us, not that he comes to us.
Not every trial faced is punishment (though some may be). Sometimes the valley, dark as it may be, is just the proper path to the green pastures, still water, and the feast prepared for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment