Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pro-Life?

I think the pro-life movement needs to be more pro-choice. I don't mean they should advocate for abortion, but strangely enough, I'm thinking many choosing abortion do so because they feel they don't have any other choice. Christians need to do a better job of giving them another choice and accepting our responsibilities.


In a blog about some articles showing that calls to abortion centers are on the rise presumably due at least in part to the economy, Jason Kovacs of the ABBA fund notes:

I think the implications for the church are massive. We have an opportunity
to stand up and save lives or swim with the current of our culture of
self-preservation. There is no difference here between the women who are
killing their babies because they don’t believe that they can afford to
raise them and Christians who think they have no responsibility in caring
for these babies. The root of both is selfishness.

I'm sure many will consider this harsh, but I have to agree with him. We're selfish. I am too, way more than I want to be, and I have opened up my home once already to my son. There's still more I can do.

Maybe at least if we're going to keep the pro-life label, let's agree that the life we will choose to protect won't be our own cushy, comfortable one. If you're not willing to sacrifice in your own life, why would you expect a mom contemplating abortion to make a sacrifice of her way of life.

Please pray how you personally and your church (and mine) can meet our responsibilities and fulfill our biblical mandates.

No comments:

Post a Comment